Thursday 24 July 2008

That's not what it said in the brochure

Since coming to Korea, first in 2005, I've seen and heard many people describe 'our' job as many things. Most recently, a fellow blogger described the job as similar to a swimming coach whilst a co-worker compared the whole thing to being a rockstar. Friends have also called it an entertainer, a clown and of course, an overpaid babysitter. Though hardly ever a teacher. In truth perhaps its a mix of some of these. However, I feel more akin to a comedian. Probably not a funny one, telling the same jokes again and again to sometimes a new audience, sometimes an old one. Sometimes they get the jokes, sometimes they don't and sometimes they laugh in the wrong places. I'm into month 30 of my comedy tour of English Language classrooms in Daegu and I wonder how much longer it can go on.

At times the situation at work can seem like a big joke anyway. If I didn't find humour in my job I would quit right away. It's tough enough living far away from home and always being an outsider so I can't imagine how someone can do this job without at least trying to have a laugh sometimes in class. What's the point of that?

My official job title is English Language Instructor.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...