Monday 6 December 2010

Sick day or not?

Still sick but much better overall than yesterday I ask myself if I should take the day off work. I have just under three hours before I head to my academy to teach and can't see myself getting worse in that time so is it worth phoning in sick?

I've only taken one sick day in my five years here and that was at my previous academy which gave you two sick days per year in your contract. Where I work now there is no provision for sickness. If you can't work you either get docked money or they take one of your vacation days off you. Judging by my last pay check any deduction in money would be about £50 and I can't afford to throw that money away.

Also, work makes it difficult for you to take the day off. If I was going to call them I probably had to have done it two hours ago to give them enough time to cover my classes IF they could. Every few months or so we get emails telling us that now is a bad time to be sick. Also I seem to have the type of body that doesn't like lying in bed if sick. I've found that moving around makes me feel a little better so I'm going to struggle on and take the money. 파이팅! (fighting!) as they say here.

3 comments:

JIW said...

Even though I worked at public school, where they give you full sick days without a hassle, I never took them. Unless I had a fever or was immobile, I went in. I found that I kind of felt better by the end of the day. But I did have a strategy. I would go in and look sick. But say I could teach the classes. By the last class to lunch time, my coteacher would tell me to go home after lunch. Worked like a charm every time. ;)

Talking to myself said...

What a great plan you had. Alas, I work in an academy and it's six 50minute classes for me today!

It's just a cold, got to get through it and I feel better if I'm doing something rather than lying in bed blowing my nose all day

조안나 said...

I actually took today off too. I think there is something going around. I can't even remember the last time I took a day off for being sick.. usually i can work through anything, but I just have been feeling really awful. Yesterday I had a fever too. Just take the day off, I slept for 4 hours this afternoon and I feel much better. I know my co-workers are suffering because I'm not there, but sometimes you have to do what's best for your body.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...