Tuesday 16 March 2010

Word prohibition/Crazy idea

We've been getting a lot of emails lately from work asking us to do things, changes to be made etc, etc. Last week we received an email from one of our managers with a request/demand relaying a message from 'The Top'.

"** **** would like everyone to try to refrain from using the word 'CRAZY' in the classroom."

Another example of pandering to the parents. Granted they are indirectly paying my wages but if they knew some of the things that their little angels were coming out with in class then maybe they would be less pedantic about innocuous things like this. I've had more insults from students than I care to recall. This is an order for all teachers to obey (native English language speaking teachers, I don't know about Koreans).

I am well aware that crazy in Korean can be taken as meaning mentally handicapped so I never use the word in an offensive manner. By the way, my students say crazy all of the time. Are they supposed to be self censoring too now? If we are going down this line then perhaps it would be a good idea to make sure that all students don't say NO or WHY when I ask them to do something or show a little respect to their English 'teacher'.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...