Tuesday 24 November 2009

Hapkido update

My body is aching in several places after my hapkido Master put me through my paces these past two days. I'm still far below the level I reached at the end of September but that's to be expected. Never mind though, there's no rush because I won't be taking the latest round of tests.

Every two months at my hapkido dojang we have a series of tests with students all of levels. These tests have to be passed before the students can move onto the next belt level. There is some stress involved but in reality the hard work has gone in before test day. Barring a disaster I feel passing the test is probably a formality.

The latest tests were due this weekend but won't take place in their usual format. There will be no parents coming to watch or judges to check them out. The tests will take place during the classes that the students have at our dojang during this week - the usual test format has been changed due to H1N1 fears. Due to missing several weeks through illness I won't be taking any test till next year, around the end of January but I'm not too fussed at that.

When there are Saturday tests, previous test students who have passed a significant black belt test (1st, 2nd and 3rd dan) are awarded their belts by judges in front of fellow students. That won't be happening so I will probably pick up my belt next week in one of my classes. That's a bit of a shame as last test I won a prize (roughly translated into 'best of the best') so I was looking forward to picking up my new belt in front of the kids. Well at least I'll be getting my belt. This will represent a big portion of the last two years of my life. I can't wait.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...