Monday 1 March 2010

Onto March

Today is a National holiday in Korea. Wikipedia calls it The March 1st movement. Not many students seem to know much about the holiday just the fact that they don't have to go to school. However, they and I have to go to my English academy. You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out how irritated most of the kids will be in class. Yet another public holiday that I am contracted to work on. No big deal, I'm not Korean so it's just another day but it would be nice to have a three day weekend.

Tomorrow is a bigger day for some of my students, when the oldest elementary school kids move onto Middle school. That is when many of them turn into zombies and lose their personality and freedom due to incessant studying demands put upon them. I'd wager that 90% or more ESL teachers in Korea would tell you that Middle school kids (or High school, which I don't teach these days) are harder to teach. Today marks a small change for me too as my work time has slightly changed. From today everyone starts fifteen minutes earlier and finishes twenty minutes earlier. A small change but I think everyone is happy with it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...