Wednesday 4 March 2009

Extreme reaction

Spring is apparently here. Today's weather is glorious - not too hot, not too cold with brilliant sunshine and few clouds in sight. Such a change from the drizzle and sullen skies of home right now. Just back from the supermarket I walked through the apartment buildings which surround my area (and most areas in Korean cities). That route takes me past many children at almost every hour of the day, many whom I have taught/teach at my present workplace.

From time to time I get stares or acknowledgements accordingly. Often (younger) kids who have never seen me before or maybe even never seen a foreigner try to speak to me, either in Korean or English. Today was pretty normal and I said "hello" to those who tried to talk to me. A pair of young girls (maybe 8 or 9 years old) seemed giddy at seeing me and one of them plucked up the courage (I can see some of them actually thinking about doing it) and said in her best English, "Hello!". I replied "Hello", but in Korean - not difficult for me. Well this girl had never seen or heard anything like it. She said something like "Wuh wuh wuh wuh wuh wuh!" and then bumped into something on the street and fell over. She was so surprised to hear a foreigner actually speaking Korean. Funny to see such an honest reaction this has made my day.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...