Thursday 7 October 2010

Visa in the bag

This week I got my latest Korean E-2 visa, some seven days before the old one was due to run out. Over the past few years Korea has changed the visa process a few times, making 'foreigners' get criminal record checks, degrees needing to be apostiled and some people needing fingerprint records etc, etc. This has made getting the actual visa trickier as there are more hoops to jump through and more chances to make mistakes.

I don't think you will find many people arguing about the need for checks on teachers criminal records, many of us do work with children after all. It's just that when Korea makes changes to the system not everyone is one the same page. There is a lot of misinformation, miscommunication and unnecessary complications that make you think they are making it up as they go along. The process has always given me a bit of stress. I hate relying on other people.

Anyway, my academy sorted the whole thing out for me, I just paid 61,000won and they did the rest. I think I have slipped in just before it gets even more complicated - I didn't even need to apostille my degree but that's no concern of mine now. I have some seven months left working in Korea. Though my visa lasts for twelve months I won't be here when it expires. Really counting down now.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...