Thursday 23 April 2009

Kirk and Vincent

From time to time you come across an unexpected treasure and it brightens up a few hours for you here in the Land of the Morning Calm. Last night I was flicking through the TV channels and quickly passed the Art channel but saw something familiar and took a second look. It was a film hat I thought I'd seen before but wasn't sure and regardless that was so long ago I didn't remember most of the story anyway. The film was Lust for Life, the story of Vincent van Gogh starring Kirk Douglas. Even though I missed maybe 70% of the film I just sat and enjoyed what was left. In the sea of mediocrity that is the majority of Korean cable TV movie channels this was a real treat.

Watching it again I was reminded of how much I like Kirk Douglas as a person and as an actor. Even his voice is fantastic. So too his maniacal eyes. I think he's one of my favourite old Hollywood stars along with Robert Mitchum and Tony Curtis, so many of his films have been enjoyable. From Champion to Gunfight at the O.K. Corral and Spartacus. I am hoping to turn back the clock and revisit some of these again and also take some time out to watch some more that I haven't seen or don't remember too well, like Paths Of Glory, Lonely Are the Brave and The Bad and the Beautiful. Thank you Kirk for adding genuine colour to my evening.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...